Thursday, March 6, 2008

Just a Little Critique Never Hurt Anybody!

Well, I'm not supposed to criticize for 24 hours! What's up with that? How can anybody go 24 hours without a nice uplifting teaching moment or critique?

CRITICISM IS EVERYWHERE!

Let me give an example. I'm driving down the road at 85 minding my own business, when I see a sign that says speed limit is 65. Now believe me, I know that when the sign tells me to slow down, its making a statment about my driving that some may take as a negative. However, I think that the person who has a broken heart and contrite spirit takes it as a positive and says - - you know, driving at 85 might be too fast under the circumstances, I think if I slow down it could save me from some grief. So was not the criticism from the sign a positive? If I have the right attitude, of course it is. If I don't, I might say that the darn sign has no business telling me how fast I should drive. So, WHAT IS SO NEGATIVE ABOUT A GOOD OLD FASHIONED CRITIQUE?

I really don't know! When President Ahmadinejad of Iran tells that world that they are building a nuclear bomb what are we supposed to say? Good for you President Ahmadinejad, we are excited for your future prospects! No! President Bush is supposed to say, President A, you can never build your nucular bomb or else we'll quit buying oil from you and you'll miss out on the $200 price of oil that will result. He's merely assisting President A in making a better choice.

You see, if we didn't have the traffic sign, if we didn't have Presidential warnings, if we didn't have ESPN analysts in Sports, if we didn't have the Cobert Report, or Sean Hannity, or the Rush Limbaugh's of the world setting us all straight, our world would simply fall into chaos.

So, why is it that the very person who I want to help the most, who I feel the greatest need to inspire to become better, who I wish to warn from pending miserable outcomes wants me to cease any criticism for 24 hours? I can only imagine that this person has no understanding of the real role of a nice little critique. It's purpose is to keep the planets and stars in their proper order. But, if chaos at home is better than a nice little friendly critique from now and then and going 24 hours in total chaos makes the person I care about more than anything else happy, then I guess I'll take chose over the criticism. I still don't think that a little critique never hurt anybody!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

there's a difference between criticsm and advice, dad.

Anyway, that probably was a critique. Shows you how well I'm doing.

Tiffanyann said...

it also depends if someone has had enough chocolate or not that day!! It makes a huge difference!

Tiffanyann said...

by the way thanks uncle bruce for always letting me come to your home!! Some of my favorite memories were made there!! I love you guys!!